So the history was written...the five day (January 15-19, 2015) visit in the Philippines of Pope Francis ended today, 19 January 2015. He left Manila at around 10:00 AM from Villamor Airbase on a direct flight to Rome via Philippine Airlines. During those five days, millions of Catholic Filipinos took their time to attend the activities from his arrival at the Villamor Airbase to welcome him (Thursday - Jan 15); Official welcome of President Noynoy Aquino in Malacanan (Friday - Jan 16); First mass at Cathedral-Basilica of the Immaculate Conception (Manila Cathedral) with bishops, priests, and religious men and women; Meeting with Families at Mall of Asia (MOA - Jan 16); Visit to Tacloban and meeting with Yolanda survivors (Saturday - January 17) where he held mass amidst the storm; Encounter with the Youth at University of Santo Tomas (UST) and concluding mass at Quirino Grandstand in Rizal Park (Sunday - January 18) attended by more than five million people as reported.
I was curious about what he was about to impart to each of us, on what a person can learn from the likes of someone who leads the Vatican. I cannot deny the fact that mere presence at a meeting with the managers of our company provided me so many lessons in life where I learned and get valuable insights from them. I anticipated that there are more to learn from a leader like him thus I watched him on TV especially when he delivered his speeches.
Here are just seven unsullied perspective from his speeches that I cannot just ignore so I compiled them and consider those as noteworthy lessons that everyone should take by heart. Whatever faith, country or race you belong, I believe that these teachings can be universally applied for the common good of humankind.
1. "...it is now, more than ever, necessary that political leaders be outstanding for honesty, integrity and commitment to the common good. In this way they will help preserve the rich human and natural resources with which God has blessed this country."
2. "...to reject every form of corruption which diverts resources from the poor, and to make concerted efforts to ensure the inclusion of every man and woman and child in the life of the community."
3. "A fundamental role in the renewal of society is played, of course, by the family and especially by young people." "...Families have an indispensable mission in society. It is in the family that children are trained in sound values, high ideals and genuine concern for others."
4 "...solidarity in the work of rebuilding teaches us an important lesson. Like a family, every society draws on its deepest resources in order to face new challenges."
5. "When you lose this capacity to dream, you lose the capacity to love, and this energy to love is lost."
6. "Rest is so necessary for the health of our minds and bodies, and often so difficult to achieve due to the many demands placed on us. But rest is also essential for our spiritual health, so that we can hear God’s voice and understand what he asks of us."
7. "When families bring children into the world, train them in faith and sound values, and teach them to contribute to society, they become a blessing in our world."